August '20 HR To Do List
Thursday, August 6, 2020
This year’s summer has been different for everyone with the COVID-19 pandemic, and in the blink of an eye it’s almost over already! Many parents are struggling to figure out the back to school situation and how it will impact their work schedules. As many of us are slowly returning to our workplaces, below are some items to keep in mind that might apply to your business for August and on:
- If you adjusted your work hours during the pandemic, be sure to clearly define the end-date for the adjusted hours and/or days of work, or conversely, if you are extending your work-from-home dates, be sure to document those as well.
- Review your emergency closing policies in the event there is another shut down due to COVID-19.
- Review your company’s technology and remote working options.
- Now is a good time to review your health insurance benefits to determine if adjustments need to be made. Open Enrollment is never far away!
- The end of summer is a great time to audit your PTO balances, especially now that many employees have likely taken time off over the summer.
- Do you have a Tuition Reimbursement policy? Dust it off and be sure employees are aware of it before they register for local classes in their spare time. What a great perk! Make this information standard knowledge to all employees, so they can spread the word and help in your recruiting efforts!
- Is your business cyclical with the Holidays, and not the summer? August is a good time to start thinking about your Holiday hiring plan:
- How many people are you hiring?
- How will you find them? Do you need a recruiter’s assistance? Will you post online and interview yourself?
- How much will you pay your new employees?
- Are you in a competitive job market? What will make candidates choose to work for you over your competition?
- Several California minimum wage increases went into effect on July 1. If you have employees in Alameda, Berkeley, Emeryville, Fremont, Long Beach, Los Angeles City, Los Angeles County, Malibu, Milpitas, Pasadena, San Leandro, or Santa Monica, double check to be sure you’re in compliance.
- As the summer is coming to an end, it may be a good time to send out an Employee Satisfaction Survey or an Employee Engagement Survey. Satisfaction and engagement are both important, and they are two different things that can be gauged on different scales.
Dates to Remember:
- Are you a non-profit? National Non-Profit Day is August 17th. Celebrate your non-profit status! Need ideas? Check here for 5 Ways to Commemorate Non Profit Day.
- National Women’s Equality Day is August 26th, to honor the day in 1920 when the 19th Amendment passed, giving women the right to vote.
- It’s National Wellness Month! Treat your employees to a wellness gift card for a job well-done.